Are you facing criminal domestic violence charges in New Jersey? If so, it is important for you to fully understand just how serious these charges are.
In fact, depending upon your specific situation, you may be facing simple assault or even aggravated assault charges, both of which can result in hefty fines, community service and even imprisonment. Therefore, it is essential for you to hire a criminal lawyer in NJ who is experienced with handling criminal domestic violence cases. By doing so, you will have the best chance of getting the charges against you reduced, or possibly even dropped.
If you are facing aggravated assault charges, a skilled criminal lawyer with expertise in defending criminal domestic violence cases in NJ may be able to get the charges substantially reduced.
According to New Jersey law, you may be found guilty of simple assault if you…
- Attempt to cause bodily injury to someone else
- Cause bodily injury to someone with a deadly weapon due to negligence
- Attempt to threaten someone with serious bodily injury
If you have been charged with aggravated assault, on the other hand, you face the possibility of being found guilty of…
- Attempting to cause serious bodily injury to someone
- Causing injury to someone in a way that demonstrates an indifference toward the value of human life
- Attempting to cause bodily injury with a deadly weapon
- Recklessly causing bodily injury to someone else with a deadly weapon
- Pointing a firearm at someone else, whether it is loaded or not
- Causing bodily injury to someone else while fleeing from the law
- Causing bodily injury to someone by starting a fire or causing an explosion
Since the actions that are considered to be aggravated assault are more serious than those considered to simple assault, you would be looking at much stiffer penalties if you are found guilty of aggravated assault.
Therefore, you want to be certain to hire a criminal lawyer experienced with domestic violence cases n NJ who will do everything possible to get your charges reduced — or to get the charges dropped completely.
At the same time, since a domestic violence case typically involves sensitive family issues, you also want to be sure to hire a West Windsor, NJ criminal lawyer who understands the special considerations that go into a domestic violence case. In order to make certain you get a fair trial and that you get the best representation possible, hire a West Windsor, NJ criminal lawyer with experience in domestic violence cases.